For You are my lamp, O Lord: The Lord shall enlighten my darkness.
2 Samuel 22:29
The local, national and global headlines suffocated me with darkness this morning. Gloom took me down, and could not be shaken.
The stories of crimes against children and terrorism played on repeat. Discouragement and hopelessness continued as I readied for my day.
Desperately needing a lift, I switched on the lamp in my “prayer corner”. Turning on the light of God’s word, I opened my Bible – seeking hope for my gloomy soul; the one-of-a-kind hope which only comes from Him.
Meditating on scriptures about light, lifted me.
I suspect you too have moments of discouragement and grief when encountering the darkness in our world. May the following scriptures move you as the did me.
- Isaiah 9:2a- The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light…
- Psalm 27:1- The Lord is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?
- Psalm 43:3a- Oh send out Your light and Your truth! Let them lead me…
- Isaiah 69:20b- …For the Lord will be your everlasting light, And the days of your mourning shall be ended.
- Matthew 5:14- You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden.
- Matthew 5:16- Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your God in Heaven.
- Proverbs 5:18- But the path of the just is like the shining sun, that shines even brighter unto the perfect day.
- John 12:36- While you have the light, believe in the light, that you may become sons of light.
- 1 Peter 2:9b- …He called you out of darkness into His wonderful light!
In these modern days, darkness and evil seem to lurk behind every corner. We must encourage one another, be lights in a corrupt world and turn on the light and hope of God’s word.
In the upcoming weeks on the blog, I will be focusing on the theme of LIGHT. I need the truth that God is light and in Him, no darkness (see 1 John 1:5) to penetrate my soul. Maybe you do too. Let’s turn on His light together my friend.
Thy word is a lamp to my feet
And a light unto my path
This little light of mine………………………..let it shine, let it shine, let it shine.
Kristin Saatzer says
I remember singing that song with my mommy as a little girl. And then singing it with my little guys.
We so desperately need the Light of Jesus in this dark world. Looking forward to these devotions!
Kristin Saatzer says